August 14, 2012

Cherry & Chocolate



It's been a while since I share any recipes and I think this one makes up for it!



Does anyone else gets more inspired after midnight or it's just me?
Yesterday my night was a busy one in the kitchen, first I baked some vegan muffins for me and those in my house who appreciate some vegan goodies, then I baked this decadent cake for my family. 
It was definitely a productive after-hours baking session.

Here is the recipe!


Chocolate Cake
• 1/2 Cup (1 stick) Unsalted Butter ( I used Smart Balance Buttery Sticks)
• 1/2 Cup Sour Cream *
• 2 Cups of sugar (I used Turbinado Sugar In The Raw)
• 2 1/3 Cup flour  ( I used Gold Medal Self Rising Flour) 
• 3/4 Cocoa powder, sifted ( I added half dark, half regular for richness)
• 2 Tsp. baking soda
• 3 large eggs
• 1 Tsp. vanilla extract
• 1/2 Cup brewed coffee * (I used Isla Bonita Coffee)
• 1 Tsp. baking powder
• 1 Tsp. Salt
• 1 Cup dark chocolate chips
• 1 Cup chopped pitted fresh cherries (I chopped them in the food processor)

•Cream butter, add and mix the sugar then the sour cream, eggs, vanilla and coffee. 
Mix in another bowl the dry ingredients,  flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cocoa powder.
Then, slowly mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, blend. 
Add and mix the cherries and chocolate chips. 
•Pour the mix in prepared pan ( To prepare the pan, grease with vegetable shortening then sprinkle and shake a couple of spoonfuls of flour until it sticks evenly on all the greased area. Shake off any excess of flour in the sink. Here are some good visuals
•Bake in preheated oven at 350º for 50 minutes to an hour. Every oven temperature varies, therefore I always recommend the clean pick check. Let the cake cool off before taking out of the pan.
•I baked the cake in a 10X3 round pan, my favorites pans are by Magic Line and I highly recommend them, they are sturdy, the cakes always bake evenly and come out of the pan very clean and easily. I need to buy another one soon because this time I cut open the cake in half to fill with buttercream between layers but it is easier to bake in two pans and avoid the cutting.  

*Notes: If you want to make this cake without the cherries, add 1 cup of sour cream instead of 1/2 and 1 cup of coffee instead of 1/2.  

Chocolate Buttercream
• 1/4 Cup heavy cream
• 1 Cup unsalted butter
• 1 Cup sifted cocoa powder (I used half dark and half regular for richness)
• 3 Cups confectioners sugar

Whip the heavy cream then add the butter and cream. Slowly add the sugar and the cocoa powder. Mix until fluffy.
*I added 1/2 cup of chopped, almost mashed cherries to the buttercream.

Enjoy!


2 comments:

RosaLovesDC said...

Looks delicious!!!!

Odyssey Home said...

Dear me! I *have* to make this!
Midnight inspiration - yes, me too.

Green Beauty

Almost two decades ago I decided to change my diet and convert to vegetarian and later on to vegan. Getting educated on vegetarianism and ...